The construction zone for the removal of the two low-head dams commonly referred to as the Sheraton Mill Dam and the LeFever Powerhouse Dam is anticipated to begin the week of June 17, 2013. Demolition is dependent upon weather conditions and water levels. The Sheraton Mill Dam will be demolished first, with the LeFever Powerhouse Dam scheduled for demolition in July 2013.
The public is advised and cautioned to not enter the River Construction Zone from Riverfront Park to Prospect Bridge during the demolition period. Signs will be posted around the construction zone beginning the week of June 3rd.
In February 2012 the City received proposals for the removal of the two dams. In July of 2012, the City selected RiverWorks as the design-build project team. RiverWorks is a team of restoration biologists, engineers and construction specialists that have worked in partnership since 2007 to provide design build expertise specifically in waterway projects.
The RiverWorks team collaboration includes Enviroscience, GPD Engineering, RiverReach Construction, along with the local Sheraton Hotel owner Tom Dillon, as a senior advisor on the project.
The Powerhouse/Samira Dam was built in 1914 to supply power for the Walsh Paper Company. The Mill/Sheraton Dam was built between 1914 and 1918 for the Vaughn Machinery Company for use in the production of steel, rubber, copper and clay products.
The City received a $1 million grant from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for this project. Cuyahoga Falls is excited to have this long awaited project begin to move forward. The City and its project team, RiverWorks, and the Ohio EPA are finalizing demolition plans. Demolition will begin in early summer 2013, dependent upon weather conditions and water levels.
Continue to watch for updates on this project, which will restore the river as it was 200 years ago, improving water quality and providing new recreational opportunities for generations to come.