Fair Housing Mission Statement and Principles
The mission of the City of Cuyahoga Falls Fair Housing is to be a leader in creating housing choice and providing opportunities for inclusive patterns of housing occupancy to all residents of the City, regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, sex, ancestry, familial status, veteran status, or physical or mental impairment.
It shall be our objective to ensure that new and ongoing programs and policies affirmatively advance fair housing, promote equity, and maximize choice. In order to achieve our objective, we shall be guided by the following principles:
1. Encourage Equity: Support public and private housing and community investment proposals that promote equality and opportunity for all residents of the City. Increase diversity and bridge differences among residents regardless of race, disability, social, economic, educational, or cultural background, and provide integrated social, educational, and recreational experiences.
2. Be Affirmative: Direct resources to promote the goals of fair housing. Educate all housing partners of their responsibilities under the law and how to meet this important state and federal mandate.
3. Promote Housing Choice: Create quality affordable housing opportunities that are geographically and architecturally accessible to all residents of the City. Establish policies and mechanisms to ensure fair housing practices in all aspects of marketing.
4. Enhance Mobility: Enable all residents to make informed choices about the range of communities in which to live. Target high-poverty areas and provide information and assistance to residents with respect to availability of affordable homeownership and rental opportunities throughout the City and how to access them.
5. Promote Greater Opportunity: Utilize resources to stimulate private investment that will create diverse communities that are positive, desirable destinations. Foster neighborhoods that will improve the quality of life for existing residents. Make each community a place where any resident could choose to live, regardless of income.
6. Reduce Concentrations of Poverty: Ensure an equitable geographic distribution of housing and community development resources. Coordinate allocation of housing resources with employment opportunities, as well as availability of public transportation and services.
7. Preserve and Produce Affordable Housing Choices: Encourage and support rehabilitation of existing affordable housing while ensuring that investment in new housing promotes diversity, and economic, educational, and social opportunity. Make housing preservation and production investments that will create a path to social and economic mobility.
8. Balance Housing Needs: Coordinate the allocation of resources to address local and regional housing need, as identified by state and community stakeholders. Ensure that affordable housing preservation and production initiatives and investment of other housing resources promote diversity and social equity and improve neighborhoods while limiting displacement of current residents.
9. Measure Outcomes: Collect and analyze data on households throughout the housing delivery system, including the number of applicants and households served. Utilize data to assess the fair housing impact of housing policies and their effect over time, and to guide future housing development policies.
10. Rigorously Enforce All Fair Housing and Anti-Discrimination Laws and Policies: Direct resources only to projects that adhere to the spirit, intent, and letter of applicable fair housing laws, civil rights laws, disability laws, and architectural accessibility laws. Ensure that policies allow resources to be invested only in projects that are wholly compliant with such laws.