Skip to main content

General FAQ

Q: How do I make a police report?

There are three ways to make a police report:

  • Dial 9-1-1 for life threatening emergencies or crimes that are occurring at the time of your call
  • For non-emergencies (events that are not life threatening or occurring at the time you call) dial 330-928-2181
  • Or you can stop by the police department, located within the Cuyahoga Falls Municipal Building, 2310 Second St, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 44221
Q: What happens when I call the police department?

When you call the police department’s non-emergency line (330-928-2181) you’ll speak to a dispatcher in our dispatch center. Through this dispatcher, you’ll be able to report practically any events you need to report. These could include: crimes, fires, drunk drivers, broken water mains, downed lines, or anything else you feel someone needs to do something about.

The dispatcher may take information, such as your location, name, etc. and will have you either remain on the line or hang up. At that time, the dispatcher will call the agency that can best handle the problem you reported.

When you call 9-1-1, you may hear some clicks before you speak to a dispatcher. DO NOT HANG UP. You are being connected through a system that will provide the dispatcher your location (if not calling from a cellular phone) prior to the dispatcher even picking up the phone.

For this reason, should you feel that it is unsafe to stay with your phone or speak, as you feel someone may be inside your house, the dispatcher will at least be able to dispatch police to your location. Remember, though, that the more information you can give the dispatcher, the quicker you’ll be able to receive help.

Q: What are the requirements for being allowed to carry a concealed firearm in Ohio?
A: The Ohio Attorney General’s office has prepared answers to this question located here
Q: When is curfew?
A: Sunday night through Thursday night curfew is 11:00 pm for those 17 years old or younger. On Friday and Saturday nights, curfew is midnight for those 17 years old or younger. This does not change during the summer. There is also a 'special curfew area' for the downtown area which requires those under 18 years of age to be accompanied by a parent or guardian after 8:00 pm. 
Q: Where do I go to pay a ticket?
A: The Cuyahoga Falls Mayor's Court located at the city building. This applies to traffic citations, parking citations, and minor misdemeanor citations. For questions regarding the Mayor's Court call 330-971-5650.
Q: What can I do if I don’t feel I deserved a ticket but I got one anyway?
A: All citations can be contested. Some citations require a court appearance. Other citations may be waived without a court appearance. To find out specifically what the options are in your specific circumstance, call the Cuyahoga Falls Mayor's Court at 330-971-5650.
Q: Do I need a license for my bicycle?

Yes. Free bicycle licensing is available at the Police Department 24 hours a day

Bicycle licensing helps officers locate stolen bicycles by providing more information about your bicycle, such as color, serial number, model number, etc.

Q: I just filed a police report. What happens now?

What happens depends on many things.

  • If you made an informational report only: the report is added to our computer system and no further contact is usually necessary, unless the problem reoccurs.
  •  If you filed a criminal report, but declined prosecution: the report is added to our computer system and no further contact is usually necessary.
  •  If you filed a criminal report and requested prosecution: our detective bureau follows up on complaints of this nature. When they contact you depends on their workload.
Q: I have a frequent problem in my neighborhood. Who should I call?
A: Always call the main, non-emergency number to the police department first. That number is 330-928-2181.
Q: Do you do fingerprinting?

No. Effective June 1, 2006, the Ohio Attorney General's Office mandated that all job applicant, and volunteer fingerprint cards, must be submitted electronically. Currently, we cannot do this.

There is a list of local agencies that perform this function in our lobby, or, you can go to the following web site for a list of locations anywhere in Ohio;

There is a cost associated with this service, you should call before going.

Q: Do you do background checks?
A: Yes. You can get the form under Records Request. You’ll need to present a valid driver’s license or ID card to Records Personnel when you give them the signed authorization form.
Q: When are jail visitation times?

Sunday and Wednesday from 8:00pm to 9:00pm.

Photo ID is required. Visitors are usually allowed approximately 10 minutes, however, the time limit may be adjusted to meet the needs of the police department.

Q: Is the police department hiring?

We operate under a civil service system and tests are offered at various times. Keep checking the local newspapers and the city's websiteor contact Civil Service at 330-971-8150.

Q: Can I get someone from the police department to speak at to my organization or to my group?

Possibly. Call the Chief of Police at 330-971-8300 or Captain Davis at 330-971-8307.

Q: If I lost something, how can I find out if someone turned it into the police department?

You’d need to speak to the records department, as they handle all property brought into the police department. You can reach them at 330-971-8303.

Q: How can I get a copy of a police report?

You can request a report through this website and the report can be emailed to you after it is retrieved or you may come down to the police department and ask for the records department. Records personnel are usually in the office Monday-Thursday from 8:00am and 8:00pm  and Fridays from 8:00am to 5:00pm. It’s always best to call first to make sure someone is in the office (330) 971-8303.

Q: Can the police department check my house for me while I’m on vacation?

Yes. All you need to do is call the police department at 330-928-2181 and ask to be put on the vacation home watch list. You’ll need to tell the dispatcher when you plan to be gone, anyone who is allowed in the house (to let your animals out, water your plants, get your mail, etc.), a local contact party who has keys to the house (in case we find anything wrong) and any lights that may be left on.

Q: What can I do if I feel an officer mistreated me?

The best thing you could do is call the non-emergency number (330-928-2181) and ask to speak to a shift supervisor.

Q: What can I do to learn more about the police department?

The Cuyahoga Falls Police Department offers tours of the department, located inside the Cuyahoga Falls Municipal Building.

Other programs include a ride-along program where civilians can ride with patrol officers for part of a shift and the Cuyahoga Falls Police Reserves, where trained civilians volunteer to assist the police department with various details.

For general information on these programs, call the police department’s non-emergency number at 330-928-2181.

Q: Does the city hold property auctions?

Yes. Keep checking the local newspapers for dates and times.

Q: Does the police department ever call residents to solicit funds?

No. Any callers who state that they are soliciting funds for the Cuyahoga Falls Police Department should be reported to the Cuyahoga Falls Police department as soon as possible.

If your question is not answered here, or you would like more information on anything law enforcement-related, please call the Shift Supervisor at 330-971-8333 or e-mail us at

Last changed 05/14/2011 - 1:39pm by merton@cityofcf