Precycling is the step "before" recycling! Reduce your trash before you need to throw it away! With just a little advanced planning, you can become a "precycler"
- Choose products packaged in recycled or recyclable material packaging.
- Avoid disposable plates, cups, etc. Use cloth rags instead of paper towels and use cloth napkins instead of paper.
- Buy items in bulk thus avoiding packaging altogether. Avoid produce or other items that are pre-packaged on foam trays and wrapped in excessive plastic.
- Avoid item with excessive packaging.
- Tell manufacturers how important "conscious" packaging is to you!
- Reuse containers whenever possible (margarine tubs and yogurt containers for leftovers; glass jars for storing foods, buttons, nails; return hangers to the dry-cleaners, etc.)
- Avoid products labeled "disposable" (diapers, razors, camera's etc.)
- Reduce your junk mail! You can have your name removed from mailing lists by writing to Mail Preference Service, PO Box 9008, Farmingdale NY 11735-9008. This can reduce your junk mail by half.