September 20, 1888 – City Council passes resolutions authorizing the Falls Edison Electric Light and Power Co. and J. A. Long, E. L. Babcock, and Samuel H Eggs, et al, the right to erect pole lines for the purpose of supplying electric street lighting. The Cuyahoga Falls Light Department is formed!
1893 – Local business captain, T. F. Walsh constructs electric line that links Akron, Cuyahoga Falls, and Ravenna.
1912 – The Northern Ohio Traction and Light Co. builds the Gorge Dam for the purposes of generating hydropower for its local streetcar system and providing cooling-water storage for a coal-burning power plant. The dam submerges the falls for which the city was named.
1915 – The Northern Ohio Traction and Light Co. finishes construction of the Gorge Power Plant and begins selling power to Cuyahoga Falls. The city ceases to produce its own power.
1931 – The Northern Ohio Traction and Light Co., supplier for the City's electric power, becomes Ohio Edison.
1936 – The original city substation on Jackson Street is abandoned. The new interconnect to Ohio Edison becomes Substation #1 on Water Street.
July 5, 1955 – The name of the "Cuyahoga Falls Light Department" is changed to "Cuyahoga Falls Electric System."
1957 – Substation #4 on Lillis Drive is built.
1958 – Substation #5 on Bailey Road is constructed and becomes the new interconnect point with Ohio Edison.
1959 – The Service Building on Bailey Road by Substation #5 is constructed where the Electric Department is currently located.
1962 – The Ohio Municipal Electric Association (OMEA) is formed when two regional associations of municipal electric communities in the northeast and northwest Ohio, interested in providing a forum for shared knowledge, merge to create Ohio's first statewide municipal electric association.
1964 – The Electric Department is a driving force in creating the Wholesale Consumers of Ohio Edison (WCOE) which consists of the 21 communities in northeast Ohio. The WCOE is successful in negotiating contracts for power in aggregate from Ohio Edison at reduced rates.
1971 – The City of Cuyahoga Falls, all the other 20 communities of the WCOE, and many other municipals in Ohio become founding members of American Municipal Power (AMP) –Ohio, formed so that many more municipal electric communities can work to together to negotiate better and more affordable power supply arrangements than individual communities might obtain on their own.
1988 – The 23kV tie line to Ohio Edison burns down at 54 megawatts (MW). Rolling blackouts throughout the city that day helped keep citizens in power most of the time. Temporary generators were brought in to help serve the peak load.
1989 – The drought of '88 coupled with the inability of the Edison lines to support the City's load necessitated the augmentation of the distribution system with six 1.5MW diesel-fired peak shaving generators to protect the incoming lines from meltdown. A temporary 138kV substation was also installed to help serve the city load.
1991 – The Valley Substation, a 138kV interconnect with Ohio Edison, goes on line. This replaces the 23kV interconnect at Bailey Road and increases the Electric System's capacity from 55MW to 160MW.
1992 – Ohio Municipal Electric Generating Agency (OMEGA) Joint Venture (JV) #1 is created when the 21 northeast Ohio municipal electric communities (formerly the WCOE group) unite to share ownership of the peak shaving generation located behind the Electric Service in Cuyahoga Falls that was installed in 1989. The JV1 venture, working with AMP-Ohio, is a historic use of tax exempt financing by multiple political subdivisions.
1993 – Cuyahoga Falls joins with 41 other AMP-Ohio communities to create what became OMEGA JV5 and begin construction of a 42MW hydroelectric power plant on the Ohio River in Belleville, West Virginia.
1997 – First Energy is formed when Ohio Edison merged with Centerior Energy.
1999 – The JV5 Belleville Hydroelectric Plant starts generating power. JV5 includes 40MW of back-up generation located at five sites around the state.
2000 – Cuyahoga Falls joins with 35 other AMP-Ohio communities to create JV2, 35 diesel generators and three gas turbines totaling over 134MW of power. JV2 is located in 13 sites around Ohio and provides an alternative to the purchase of high priced replacement and peaking power on the spot market.
2001 – The Theiss Rd. Substation, a 138kV interconnect with Ohio Edison, goes on line. This second delivery point to the city increases the maximum capacity of the Electric System by 80MW to 240MW at a cost of just over $3 million.
2003 – Cuyahoga Falls joins with nine other AMP-Ohio communities to create JV6, now four 1.8MW windmills located near Bowling Green, Ohio.
2005 – Cuyahoga Falls and 32 other AMP-Ohio communities formed the 142MW AMP Combustion Turbine (AMPCT) venture. The purposes of the venture were the purchase and operation of six gas combustion turbine units. Pacific Gas & Electric Trading built these six units, located in three Ohio locations, in 2000. AMPCT serves peaking power needs.
2007 – Cuyahoga Falls becomes one of 68 members of AMP-Ohio to jointly purchase a 368MW share of the 1600MW Prairie State Energy Campus to be constructed in Lively Grove, Illinois. Prairie State is a state-of-the-art coal-fired facility that includes 30 years of coal reserves on site. Scheduled completion of the plant is in 2012.
2007 – Cuyahoga Falls becomes a member of the 208MW AMP Hydro Project consisting of the construction and operation of three hydroelectric plants on the Ohio River: Cannelton, Smithland, and Willow Island. Scheduled completion of the plants is in 2014.
2009 – AMP-Ohio changes its name to AMP to better reflect the organization’s growth and footprint that now extends to six states. AMP membership is comprised of 128 municipal electric systems located in the states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Virginia, Kentucky and West Virginia. The Cuyahoga Falls Electric System is the fourth largest municipal of AMP in terms of the number of customers.
2011 – Construction of a new Substation #4 is begun on State Road. The old Substation #4 on Lillis Drive is disconnected from the system.
2011 – Cuyahoga Falls joins with 87 other members of AMP to purchase a 707MW natural gas combined-cycle plant that is under construction by First Energy. Construction is completed in 2011 and testing begins. The AMP Fremont Energy Center (AFEC) in Fremont, Ohio will provide cheaper 5x16 intermediate power for its owners.
2012 – AFEC begins operation with AMP managing the plant.