Skip to main content

Replacement Of Valuables

Here is a checklist of documents you will need to replace if they are destroyed, and who to contact for information on the replacement process.  It is prudent to record these items / contact numbers and store copies of  the list in a fire-safe box, a safety deposit box and/or at the home of a relative or friend. 



Driver’s license

Department of motor vehicles

Auto registration

Department of motor vehicles

Banking information

Your bank(s), ASAP

Insurance policies, home & auto

Your insurance agent

Military discharge papers

Department of Veterans Affairs


Passport service

Birth, death & marriage licenses

Bureau of records in the appropriate state(s)

Divorce papers

Circuit court where decree was issued

Social Security card

Local SS office

Medicare card

Local SS office

Credit cards

The issuing companies, ASAP

Titles to deeds

Records department of the locality in which the property is located

Stocks and Bonds

Issuing company or your broker


Your lawyer

Medical records

Your doctor(s)


Issuing companies

Income tax records

The IRS center where filed or your accountant

Citizenship papers

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Prepaid burial contract

Issuing company

Animal registration papers

Humane Society

Mortgage papers

Lending institution

Last changed 11/15/2010 - 5:23pm by webmaster